Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SSRS 2005 Migration

My company is working on a DR Plan that includes VM for recovery while new hardware can be ordered and systems built. Last week I had the task of moving our SSRS 2005 installation to new VM that in the end would have the same name as the original physical server.

Lets name the original server ServerA and the VM ServerB.

I found a couple of articles through Google which covered the process with good detail, the links can be found at the below.

After installing SQL2005 and SSRS on ServerB to match the versions on ServerA, I took a backup of the Source Databases, reportserver and reportservertempdb and restored those back to ServerB.
Ensured the configuration for both servers matched and then imported the Encryption Keys ServerB came up and worked, it would serve up the Reports, ServerB\Reports.

After shutting down ServerA we renamed ServerB to ServerA, performed the required updates on new ServerA for SSRS to be able to connect, link below and everything was good to go. So we thought.

Two issues arose after the migration, neither of which I could find a fix for through Google or other searches.

The first issue is that when IIS is installed two accounts are created IUSR_(servername) and IWAM_(servername), both of these retain their original name after the server rename. Our issue was that IUSR_ServerA owned subscriptions, these failed because the user did not exist. The system team renamed the account, IUSR_ServerB and IWAM_ServerB to IUSR_ServerA and IWAM_ServerA, this resolved the problem of the account not existing but it was missing some privileges so it was still unable to successfully execute the subscriptions, I ended up changing the owner of the subscription to the SQL Service Account and the subscriptions would generate. Reinstalling IIS may resolve this issue, but not sure what would happen to the SSRS configuration information.

The second issue arose when the subscriptions emailed links to the reports, the links included ServerB in the path, \\ServerB\Daily Reports...., resulting in a 404 error when following. Inside the config file referenced below there is a key named URLRoot, this required updating to the correct server name, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\Reporting Services\Report Server\rsreportserver.cfg.
I didn't need to change the user/password as detailed in the first article.

Overall this was a fairly smooth process, the two issues were easy to resolve once found but caused unplanned report failures and production issues for users relying on the reports.

Migration Assistance:

Renaming a SSRS Computer:

No comments:

Post a Comment